Went out and picked some sloe berries to make some sloe gin and discovered a lot of blackberries amongst the Prunus spinosa (blackthorn or sloe). So I decided to experiment with making some jam.
Blackberry Jam with a hint of Chilli Cocoa.
- 400g of freshly picked blackberries – washed, cleaned and air dried
- 400g of Silver Spoon Jam Sugar (already contains pectin)
- 1/2 large hot green chilli – de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 heaped teaspoon of dried mixed spice powder
- 2 heaped teaspoon of 70% cocoa powder
- 1 large heaped teaspoon of butter
You will need to tool up with the following:-
- 2 x 400g sterilised jam jar's
- large heavy bottomed saucepan
- wooden spoon – sterilised
- large glass bowl
Making the jam:-
- Slap the butter, chopped chilli, mixed spice, cocoa into the saucepan and gradually heat and mix into a paste.
- Tip in the blackberries and mash them up good and proper whilst gradually increasing the heat and stirring.
- When the blackberries are well mashed up, pour in the sugar and stir like a demon.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and boil vigorously for exactly 4 minutes.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the jars and seal.
- There should be a little left over to taste warm on some toast.