Letters of support need to be sent to NNDC by Wednesday 2nd January 2013.
To support the proposed supermarket, you need to write a letter to North Norfolk District Council (NNDC), who will be formally considering the planning application.
When supporting, it is important to refer to matters which the planning committee will have to consider, such as:
- The positive impact of the development on the Holt’s ability to claw back some trade currently going to Cromer, Fakenham and elsewhere.
- The positive impact on the Holt’s vitality and vibrancy as a place to live and work. More jobs and less expensive grocery shopping, without the need for a car or by relying on inadequate public transport.
- Additional parking in Holt (no further from town than the long overdue Thornage Road parking scheme).
It will help a lot if you can personalise your letter – say who you are and why it matters to you.
If you are able to send a printed letter by post, it may have a bigger impact.
You may also want to send copies of your letter to members of North Norfolk District Council’s Development Committee. They will have the final say on this planning application.
Here is a draft idea for a short letter.
Mr G Lyon
North Norfolk District Council
Dear Mr Lyon
RE: Planning application PF/12/0929, Thaxters of Holt Ltd, Old Station Way, Holt, NR25 6DH
I write in connection with the above planning application. I have examined the plans in detail and know the site and surrounding area very well. Having briefly studied local and national planning policy and guidance, I am not concerned and believe that this development will have an extremely positive impact on the local economy and community. I wish to agree strongly with the above development for the following reasons:
There is a demonstrated need for a second supermarket in Holt.
- The developers argue that Holt residents want and need a second supermarket. We actually do!
- It is evident that the majority of Holt residents are not happy with the competitiveness of food and grocery shopping facilities available in Holt. So we currently prefer to shop in Fakenham, Cromer or online.
The development would have a positive impact on the vitality and viability of Holt.
- It will provide extra parking close to the town (no further away than the delayed Thornage Road scheme).
- Offer new employment opportunities.
- Give healthy competition to Budgens and help reduce the many weekly individual journeys to Fakenham and Cromer (think of the environment!)
You will see from the points set out above that I am strongly in agreement to this planning application because:
- There is a demonstrated need for a second supermarket in Holt.
- I believe it will have a positive impact on the vitality and viability of Holt.
I hope that you will take these agreements into account when considering this planning application, and you will approve it for the sake of Holt and its less affluent residents.
I would be grateful if you could keep me informed of all developments relating to this application.