Having successfully upgraded three of my WordPress 2.9.2 based websites to the latest version – WordPress 3.0 – I thought I would share the steps that I took to ensure a smooth transition (without the need to call on the backups I had made earlier).
If you are using a third party theme or framework for your website or blog then please check with them to make sure their theme is WordPress 3.0 ready.
Here is how I did it…
- From the control panel within the WordPress 2.9.2 dashboard – update all of your activated plug-ins (the ones WordPress is flagging as having available updates).
- Make sure you have activated all the plug-ins once they have been updated.
- Under the Tools section of the sidebar found in the dashboard of WordPress 2.9.2 you will see Upgrade – select this option.
- You will now have a screen with a warning (Important: before upgrading, please backup your database and files) – follow the backup steps before continuing onto step 5.
- Using your FTP program change the file attribute settings so all files in httpdocs (recursive into subdirectories) have the permission 777.
- Make a cup of tea whilst you wait for .5
- You are now ready to click on the Upgrade Automatically button – click the button.
- Top up your cup of tea and sit back whilst you wait for WordPress 2.9.2 to successfully update to WordPress 3.0
- You should be greeted with a message saying WordPress upgraded successfully
- Go back to your FTP program and change the file attribute settings of httpdocs back to 755 (recursive into subdirectories) then – enjoy using WordPress 3.0!
This all worked for me and as I am typing my website number four has now successfully updated to WordPress 3.0. I have checked through each site thoroughly and all appears to be in working order!